Sidmouth Tennis Club latest - Truman and Clark crowned Champs of the Courts
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Tennis Club played a friendly in-house tournament last weekend, writes Kate Truman.
There were a dozen players involved the event - Champs of the Courts.
The concept was designed to enable the club’s league players to get very welcome match practice in daylight hours in preparation for the coming summer season.
The format saw the players play across three courts in random doubles pairings.
Each duo played five rounds with each players having five swerves on a rotational basis.
You may also want to watch:
At the end of each round, players changed courts as follows: the winners on each court moved up a court and split up, except for the winners on court one who stayed put, but split up.
The losers on each court moved down a court and split up, except for the losers on the last court who stayed put, but split up. At the end of an hour’s play, each pairing then played two normal sets of tennis against the opponents then on their court. The Champs of the Courts were the winners of the match on court one after the last round was completed.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
The action was fast-paced and fun and the eventual winners were Martin Truman, playing for the first time in eight weeks after having torn a calf muscle in early December, and John Clarke.
Their reward for winning was digging into their wallets to buy all other players a drink at the bar afterwards!
There’s an Open Day being held at the club on Saturday, March 21 from 1.30pm.
Any juniors or adults interested in finding out more about a friendly tennis club is more than welcome to attend.