Sidmouth tennis quartet are London bound
- Credit: Archant
Two Sidmouth families have made it through to the Finals of the national Quorn Family Doubles Tennis Tournament, writes Kate Truman.
Father-and-son team of Martin and 15-year-old Ollie Truman, and mother-and-daughter team, Sidmouth club coach Sue Wiltshire and 17-year0old Katie Wiltshire, had both previously qualified to compete at the regional Quorn event which was held at the Virgin Active Centre in Poole on Sunday. Here, the two teams fought off stiff competition in their respective rounds before meeting each other in the final.
An exciting and close-fought match ensued with Sue and Katie just edging it with an 8-6 win.
Happily for Sidmouth, though, both the winners and runners-up of the regional event qualified for the national Final to be held in London on the weekend of October 23 and 24.
That all means that both the Wiltshires and the Trumans are now looking forward to being put up in a hotel in London for two nights courtesy of Quorn, as well as having the opportunity to compete for the national title!
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth Tennis Club Secretary, Di Kendall-Tory said: “It’s such exciting news for Sidmouth and shows the talent we have in both the adult and junior sections of the clubs. We wish them lots of luck for the final and hope one of them brings back a trophy!”
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections