Sidmouth tennis teams end season on high
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth men’s B team has finished the summer season on a high, writes Kate Truman.
Such was the conclusion to the term that they earnt themselves a place at the top of Division 8 and a well-deserved promotion for next season.
They rounded things off in style, beating Kingsteignton 6-3 at home. The team on the night, comprising captain, Bob Hefill, his partner Jonny Surtees, and club juniors Louis Spalding and Ollie Truman, needed a minimum of five points from this last fixture to secure the top spot and managed to go one better with six points thanks to the cool-headed play of Spalding and Truman who triumphed in an all-important championship tie-break.
As well as all enjoying a great team spirit, the evening had a party atmosphere with the club house full of FolkWeek revellers and music in the air.
The B team, which also includes Greg Pepper, John Clarke, Harry Ensall and Mike Fletcher, has had an extraordinary season, experiencing only one loss in twelve matches!
You may also want to watch:
A most encouraging aspect of their season is that the squad is still developing and there’s no reason the team can’t progress to higher divisions in the Exeter and East Devon League in the future.
Meanwhile, the men’s A team, the ladies’ A and B teams and the mixed team have also enjoyed a strong season with all managing to consolidate their respective division positions in closely contested fixtures to finish mid-table
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 6 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 9 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution