Sidmouth tennis teen makes HSBC Road to Wimbledon progress
- Credit: Archant
Junior players at Sidmouth Tennis Club enjoyed fine weather for their annual Road to Wimbledon tournament organised by club coach Mike King during half-term week, writes Kate Truman.
The HSBC Road to Wimbledon competition is the biggest junior tournament in British tennis and gives all Under-14 players the opportunity to progress through to compete on the world famous grass courts at Wimbledon.
Local clubs, parks and schools are encouraged to enter and stage a tournament for their members/pupils rated between 10.2 and 7.1.
Ten juniors battled it out for a coveted place in the Devon County Finals, the next stage in the tournament.
The standard of junior play at the club has really improved in the last year and the day saw some cracking tennis that ultimately ended in an exciting final between good friends and familiar match rivals, Ollie Truman and Louis Spalding.
You may also want to watch:
On this occasion, it was Louis who triumphed, coming in to take control of the net to particularly good effect and winning the deciding set 6-3.
He is looking forward to taking on the best in Devon at the County Finals in July.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford