Sidmouth Texas Scramble success for trio
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth Golf Club Sunday winter league put on a three man Texas Scramble competition, writes John Barnard.
Four drives each to count and getting a good draw helps as always.
In first place were the big hitting group of Sean Murphy, Harrison Jones and Lee Wenham.
They scored a fabulous nett medal score of 47, seventeen better than par to win easily by five shots.
The front nine was ok, two better but they then birdied holes nine, ten, 11 and 12 and eagled the 13th.
You may also want to watch:
Two more birdies on the last two holes sealed a great round of golf and a convincing victory. In second place were Lewis White, David Pepperell and Paul Renken with 54.6.
As ten percent of each player’s handicap is used , it is rare to get a tie as shots allowed are to a decimal point, but remarkably, the team of Mark Thomas, Moray Bosence and Steve Channing also scored 54.6 so countback was needed and they lost as they scored a slightly inferior back nine.
- 1 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Two superb centuries in Sidbury victory
The previous week, a fourball better ball competition was played and winning by one shot were David Pepperell and Hugh Dorliac who managed an excellent 46 stableford points. In second place were Paul Renken and R.Nichols with Jeremy Fox and Brian Rice in third scoring 44 points.
The overall winter league has got much tighter at the top. Kym White’s big lead has been eroded and his 23 points now leads by one shot only from Paul Renken, Sean Murphy and Lee Wenham. With plenty more Sundays before the end of the season, all to play for.