Sidmouth third XV given lift by Trim try

Sidmouth third XV rugby team before their meeting with Crediton

Sidmouth third XV rugby team before their meeting with Crediton - Credit: Archant

The much anticipated return to action of a Sidmouth RFC third XV took place on a late January soft surface at Crediton where the Chiefs met the Mid Devon club’s third XV, writes Ian West.

After winning the toss and opting to kick up hill Sidmouth came under intense early pressure from the Crediton forwards who used their muscle up front to gain, and retain, possession, and they were camped on to the Sidmouth five-metre line for the first ten minutes!

The continuous pressure proved too much for the newly formed Sidmouth side and a yellow card was issued for not releasing in the tackle and Crediton took a quick penalty top score a converted try.

For the next ten minutes the home side made good advantage of playing with a man extra, creating a number of overlaps that led to them scoring further tries to open a 21-0 lead.

Once restored to a full complement Sidmouth began to put together some positive forward moves and kept some great lines and, during a sustained spell of pressure both hooker Paul Harradence and winger Mark Oke broke the home team’s defensive line, but were held up close to the whitewash.

You may also want to watch:

The home side regained the initiative, scored more tries and took a 26-0 lead into the interval.

The half-time talk for the away team focussed on the promising attacking play they had produced in the closing stages of the half and the team made a bright start to the second half during which time flanker Dan Trim pocketed an interception pass and raced clear to score the first Sidmouth II try for some time!

Most Read

Adam Squance was successful with the conversion and Sidmouth were on the score board!

The celebrations were short lived however, as Crediton replied instantly with a similar try. After the re-start the situation worsened for Sidmouth with the referee awarding another yellow card, this time for what he considered a high tackle.

During the 10 minutes of action that followed Sidmouth defended with all they had, keeping the home team out from adding any further points with some great defence, particularly from props Yann Tripet, Roger Golding and second row Kenton Mathys. With the 10-minute sin binning over and Sidmouth once again with a full complement they began to get a serious foot hold in the contest, retaining the ball well and putting some good phases together with metres gained by great pick-and-go moves from back rows Scott Savage and Ben Stansfield. The backs also made their mark through Andrew Dare and Oliver Aplin, both asking questions of the Crediton defensive line. In the final five minute fitness began to tell as the fresh legs of the home replacements offered them pace that the Sidmouth players could not match and a late try sealed the hosts a 40-7 success.

Sidmouth third XV team are looking to arrange another fixture with a local club’s third team before the end of the season.

Any club interested is asked to contact Ian West on 07738 666467 or by email at

The third team are also keen to recruit further players and anyone interested in joining the team can get further information from Ian.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus