Sidmouth thirds end 2017 league season with defeat to Thorverton
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth III slipped to a four wicket defeat in their final game of the 2nd XI B Division East season, beating by Thorverton, who got home with two overs and five balls to spare.
Sidmouth won the toss, batted first and had a half century opening stand between David Watkins (29) and Jash Patidar (20). However, both fell in quick succession and it was soon 63-3 with Nathan Ritchie bowled for two.
However, an unbeaten 53 from Welsey Holmes and a knock of 40 from Graham Munday, saw Sidmouth to their close of 180-6 after their 45 overs.
Thorverton lost their first wicket in the run chase at 35 and their second at 68 with Graham Munday and Jordan Fowler the wicket takers. The third wicket partnership then saw the score taken to 140 before a Wesley Holmes catch off Rodney Holmes accounted for a third wicket.
By that stage they were almost home and just one more wicket was snared – a second for Rodney Holmes as the Mid Devon side recorded a comfortable win.
You may also want to watch:
It was Holmes who topped the bowling honours with figures of 2-25 from five overs. Graham Munday, with 1-35 from a full shift of nine overs, and Jordan Fowler, with 1-27 from 7.1 overs, were the other successful home bowlers.
Sidmouth III have no game on the final matchday of the 2017 season as they were set to play Exmouth next Saturday and the Maer men withdrew from the league before a ball was bowled this term.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 4 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 7 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 8 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 9 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98