Sidmouth Toucans beaten in last, last game of the season.
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Sidmouth Toucans had thought that they had completed their Honiton Netball Summer League campaign, so were surprised when they had to once again gather together to play a re-arranged fixture to finally finish off their season.
Toucans were always going to be big underdogs for their encounter with a very slick OPG team.
Even starting with a 28-0 lead under the Summer league handicapping rule Toucans had their work cut out!
Mind you, adding to the fact that they were up against such an accomplished outfit, Toucans also had to contend with extreme heat and a sun that was setting for much of the game into their eyes!
Sarah Fletcher (GK) and Sarah Burston (GD) were kept very busy against the clinical OPG shooters which included Cara Monaghan from Sidmouth!
You may also want to watch:
Another OPG player from Sidmouth, Carol Goddard, kept Toucan’s WD players Louise Hastie and Alexa Baker well shackled also!
Rachel Darlami, once again excelling in the role of centre, never gave up and fed the ball time and again to WA Sarah Sparks who unfortunately picked up an injury and was forced to hobble out of the action. Helen Terry (GA) and Emma Davey (GS) completed the Toucans on duty, both making invaluable contributions to the cause.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
It took till the end of the third quarter for OPG to catch Toucans up at 40-all. However, once level they used al their power I the final quarter to score 13 further goals and seal a 53-44 success.
Sarah Fletcher deservedly received the Toucans Player of the match award and, for the umpteenth time this term, Toucans (and the opposition) received the maximum ten ‘fair play’ points.
Sidmouth Toucans are looking forward to playing in a charity mixed netball tournament in August and the return of pay and play netball sessions at Sidmouth sports hall in September.
Please contact Alexa through Sidmouth Toucans face book page or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.