Sidmouth Toucans win opening game of new season
Sidmouth Toucans started the new Honiton Winter Netball League is stunning fashion this week.
Toucans, who play each week throughout the year have lost their fair share of matches in both Summer and Winter Leagues, but their game has continued to improve and it all came to fruition in the meeting with Otter Valley Dairy, their first outing back in the more comfortable surroundings of Division Two.
The first quarter saw mother and daughter, Louise Neilson (GA) and Danni Walters (GS) combine well under the net to score six goals between them.
Centre court players, Jo White (WD), Sarah Sparks (WA) and Rachel Darlami (C), had their fitness levels tested while Louise Hastie (GD) and Sarah Burston (GK) were kept on their toes in the circle too.
The second quarter saw Walters switch to goalkeeper with Alexa Baker coming on as goal shooter .
You may also want to watch:
In the third quarter Toucans began to move the ball with real confidence and scored nine further goals with some slick interchanging. A number of the goals came from the edge of the circle and many from great interceptions further up the court.
The final quarter saw another seven goals scored and Toucans new skipper Louise Neilson was named the player of the match.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 The questions of British Lions selection
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
The first of a new series of ‘pay-and-play’ netball sessions saw a tremendous turnout of 17 players. More will be welcomed at the regular sessions, taking place from 5pm each Saturday at Sidmouth Sports Centre.
Interested folk are reminded the footwear is trainers and the fee is £3. It’s also quite important to attend with supplies of water!