Sidmouth Town 3-1 when injury forces abandonment

Sidmouth Town 2nds against Exmouth Ammies 2nds. Photo by Terry Ife. Ref shsp 2016-09-14TI To order y

Sidmouth Town 2nds against Exmouth Ammies 2nds. Photo by Terry Ife. Ref shsp 2016-09-14TI To order your copy of this photograph go to and click on myphotos24 - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Town 3, Liverton United 1 Match abandoned 56 minutes The Vikings were cruising towards a sixth win of the season when injury forced an early end to the action.

The injury was to visiting goalkeeper Lee Griffiths who suffered a head injury that left requiring medical attention that ultimately led to him being flown by air ambulance to hospital.

The visitors took the lead in the in the seventh minute when Mike Turner scored. The lead lasted just four minutes with Andy Isaac getting on the end of a Jake Boyland cross to head the ball firmly past Griffiths. Isaac then turned provider as he delivered a telling cross that Mike Stamp headed back into the danger area where Mike Pidgeon was well placed to fire home from12-yards.

That was the way it stayed through to half-time. After the break Town were awarded a penalty that Andy Thompson passed beyond the keeper into the net.

Eight minutes later the unfortunate Griffiths suffered that nasty injury in a goal mouth scramble.

You may also want to watch:

Referee Cameron Mann opted for an abandonment which no one complained about given the stricken state of the gloves man who was detained in hospital over night before returning home the next day.

The game with Liverton will now be replayed and it is now one of two matches being played on Saturday, May 10 which is two weeks later than the originally scheduled final match day of the season which had had to be extended owing to the wet winter we have endured.

Most Read

Before that May 10, match Town have another eight matches to play starting with Saturday’s East Devon derby at Axminster Town.

They then host Exwick (March 29) before a 14-day break until an April 12 trip to Stoke Gabriel. That’s followed by a Good Friday, April 18, Manstone Lane meeting with Budleigh and eight days later they are at Budleigh for a swift return. On Tuesday, April 29, they visit University before a May 3, visit to Appledore and a Monday, May 5, home game with Teignmouth Town.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus