Sidmouth Town boss delighted with club’s pre-season preparations
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town boss Josh Stunell is very content as his team’s pre-season preparations continue, writes Steve Birley.
To date the Vikings have played three times and remain unbeaten after a 1-1 draw with Honiton Town, a 7-2 success against Taunton Town Under-18s and a whopping 9-0 victory over Exmouth Town Reserves.
Stunell says: “I really could not have asked for more. What is shining through is the terrific attitude being shown by one and all. The youngsters that we bloodied at the end of last season have come on leaps and bounds and I always thought that, given a good run of pre-season working with the youngsters coming through, we’d see the strength in the squad increase significantly. They are a real inspiration.”
The Town boss felt at the end of last season that his team were not far off being a highly competitive unit and he has added a number of new faces that really look to have improved the squad.
Matt Clenahan, a central defender from Totnes and Dartington, Ben Newham, a midfield player and Ben Facey, a left-sided operator are all fully integrated into the squad while Stunell is impressed with teenager Connor Swingler who has made the switch from Fresha League Ottery St Mary.
You may also want to watch:
Stunell says: “The new lads have fitted in perfectly and their presence makes us stronger. Connor (Swingler) looks a gem, I have only spent a short time working with him, but I believe he has a great future.”
Town are next in pre-season action on Saturday (July 25) when both first team and second team play at Exmouth Amateurs.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
Stunell says: “It’s a great chance for me to have a look at all the players we have with us. I do think we are right on track and absolutely where I’d like us to be at this stage of a pre-season build-up.”