Sidmouth Town ease way into Morrison Bell last four
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town began their defence of the Morrison Bell Cup with a 4-1 Manstone Lane success over Macron League Premier Division Seaton Town.
It was the visitors who scored first with Seth Wakley capitalising on some indecision in the Vikings back line to fire Seaton into a 10th minute lead.
It took a while for the Vikings to find their feet in the contest, but by the midway stage of the first half they began to control proceedings.
The equaliser arrived when Will Jenkins played a terrific through ball to Dan Evans and the striker beat Seaton goalkeeper Ben Abbott to the ball and lifted it beyond him and into the net.
Town held a 2-1 half-time lead thanks to a cool finish from Fenrec Bodor who, finding himself through one-on-one with the visiting glovesman, eased the ball beyond the advancing ‘keeper and into the net.
You may also want to watch:
Town boss Josh Stunell clearly had words with his team during the break for, from the restart the Vikings were a yard sharper and they were rewarded for the additional endeavours when the impressive Jenkins made it 3-1 on the hour mark.
Seaton worked hard and had some bright moments in the second period, particularly whenever Jacob Rowe received the ball.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
However, it was the home team’s superior fitness and knowhow that proved the difference on the day and the Vikings place in the last four was confirmed 10 minutes from time when Jenkings netted his second.
Sidmouth: Lines, Binion, Pointing (C), Burrows, Bowditch, Jarrett, Wellman, Jenkins, Evans, Antat, Evans. Used Subs. Gibson, Sellick, Miller
Man Of the Match: Will Jenkins