Sidmouth Town hit Crediton United for six

Sidmouth at home to Stoke Gabriel. Photo by Terry Ife ref shsp 5481-34-13TI Toorder your copy of thi

Sidmouth at home to Stoke Gabriel. Photo by Terry Ife ref shsp 5481-34-13TI Toorder your copy of this photograph go to and click on myphotos24 - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Town 6, Crediton United 1 The Vikings chalked up their biggest ever victory as a South West Peninsula League side.

What made the success all the more remarkable was that the visitors arrived having been beaten only by title chasing Stoke Gabriel since mid-September!

The Vikings made a sluggish start, unlike Crediton who forced the play and asked questions of Town glovesman Jack Burgess in the early exchanges.

However, once settled, Town began to move the ball around well and it was no surprise when Ben Cole volleyed them into a 20th minute lead.

The visitors responded well and Burgess needed to make a smart stop to deny them an instant reply.

You may also want to watch:

Town doubled the lead when Jake Boyland picked up a loose ball thirty yards out and his swerving, dipping effort nestled in the top corner!

With half time was looming the Vikings were reduced to ten men when Tony Cox saw red.

Most Read

The dismissal was made all the more problematic with the departure from the game soon after Mark Badcock with a serious eye injury.

The Vikings were simply superb after the break when anyone just turning up would have found it hard to believe they were a man short!

Andy Isaac, Boyland, Matt Colson and Nick Gingell all excelled throughout the half.

Gingell showed great energy to meet a superb Isaacs through-ball on the edge of the penalty area and rifle the ball home to make it 3-0. The visitors pulled one back with the ball deflected past a helpless Burgess.

The three goal margin was swiftly restored when the outstanding Boyland weaved his way through before applying a clinical finish. Colson and Gingell combined well down the right prior to Boyland slamming the ball home to complete a superb hat-trick.

There was still enough time for Andy Isaacs to head home powerfully after great work from the imperious Boyland giving Isaacs a thoroughly deserved goal that his energy and commitment merited.

Within minutes the final whistle was greeted by a decent sized home crowd that had witnessed a very entertaining game and a few superb goals to boot.

The Manstone Lane faithful will be hoping for more of the same tomorrow (Saturday) when University are the visitors (2.15pm).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus