Sidmouth Town kick-off new league campaign with superb home win over Alphington
- Credit: Archant
The Vikings scored twice in the first half and added a third shortly after the restart and were good value for the points as they won their opening South West Peninsula League, Eastern Division match of the season 3-1 at home to Alphington.
It was last season’s leading scorer Ricky Pitter who peeled off at the far post to chest the ball home after a deep cross from Mark Pavey to give Town a 1-0 lead.
That lead was doubled thanks to some class from Cameron Vere who delivered a teasing cross that an Alphas defender turned past his own glovesman!
The Exeter side were the better of the teams early in the second half and so it was against the run of play when Pavey and Pitter combined to see Pitter double his tally and make it 3-0.
Alphington completed the scoring and it was tough on Town goalkeeper Alex Bowring who made three stunning saves during an amazing sequence of goalmouth action that ended with the ball finally in the back of the home net.
You may also want to watch:
Jake Boyland was the home star after a super performance that might, on another day, have seen him nail a first half hat-trick!
Make sure of your copy of the Sidmouth Herald (out next on Friday August 14) for the thoughts of Town boss Josh Stunell o his side’s opening day win.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 9 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 10 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week