Sidmouth Town make big point from Teignmouth visit despite poor performance

Sidmouth FC at home to Newton Abbot spurs. Photo by Terry Ife ref shsp 6015-36-13TI To order your co

Sidmouth FC at home to Newton Abbot spurs. Photo by Terry Ife ref shsp 6015-36-13TI To order your copy of this photograph go to and click on myphotos24 - Credit: Archant

Teignmouth Town 1, Sidmouth Town 1 The Vikings came back from their visit to the South Devon coast with the bonus of a point their 90-minute display hardly warranted.

Last season Town were involved in similar matches when they dominated proceedings and got nothing to show for their considerable efforts so perhaps this point is one ‘owed’ from last season!

That’s certainly the view of Town boss Paddy Thomas who said: “We did not play well and spurned enough chances to have comfortably brought all three points back to East Devon. The positive about being so wasteful with opportunities to score is that we are generating such chances and that is a good thing. It tells me we are doing something right and with a little more composure the goals will come.”

The game was played on a poor surface and it was the home side that started the brighter with Vikings keeper Luke Ashford making two excellent saves early on.

In a slick counter-attack Andy Isaac was denied the opening goal after some fine approach play involving Darren Thomas and George Moore.

You may also want to watch:

A long-range effort struck Ashford’s far upright as Teignmouth continued to play to the conditions with a succession of long-balls.

The deadlock was broken when the home side’s route-one approach saw the Vikings rear guard caught square and Ashford was powerless to keep the ball out.

Most Read

The Teign’s then set about looking to double their lead, but Town gradually took control and, with Nick Gingell taking charge in the middle third in his first start of the season starting his first game of the season and George Moore working tirelessly up and down the flank, the tide turned. Both Ben Cole and Matt Colson were introduced and both looked comfortable. Dan Norman rifled a ball that cannoned back into play off the crossbar,

The equaliser owed much to the pace of Colson as he skipped away from his marker before driving the ball low and hard into the box where Moore provided a powerful finish.

Both sides fashioned late chances; the home side had a clear shot at Ashford’s goal from six yards out but failed to find the target whilst Norman was unfortunate to be flagged offside when put through in the dying seconds.

Town boss Thomas said: “When you don’t put your chances away it generally comes back to haunt you and that’s what happened to Teignmouth. We were not goo in this one and overall it was a disappointing performance. I’d like for us to be more confident in possession and learn to keep the ball better. We are capable; it’s just a confidence thing. There were plusses, Matt Colson did very well and the fact that all 14 who played were clearly determined to give their absolute all. The determination, spirit and resolve shown across the pitch gives myself and Oggy )Town assistant boss Nick Ogden), great hope for the future.

Tomorrow Town travel to Galmpton (3pm).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus