Sidmouth Town make it six without defeat with Liverton win


- Credit: Archant

Jamie Newbery led by example as Sidmouth Town extended their unbeaten run to six games with a 4-2 win at Liverton.

Teenage central defender Newbery scored twice as the Vikings bagged their first away win since early August.

With regular glovesman Dan Stapleton missing with a hip injury, Town Reserves stopper Jack Burgess was given a start.

He was quickly in action as the Town back line struggled to get to grips with a powerful swirling wind.

The best of the early chances at either end fell to the home side when Torquay United non-contract player Sean Finch lost his marker, but then saw his lob-shot go just over the bar.

You may also want to watch:

However, Town took the lead in the eighth minute when Dan Evans whipped a 25-yard free-kick into the area when Devon Under-18 skipper Newbery out jumped everyone else in a crowded area to plant a header into the net.

In the 20th minute the division’s top scorer Finch again lost his marker, but the end result was the same with his audacious chip going just over.

Most Read

It was clear that Sidmouth had to get closer to Finch as if they didn’t he would certainly punish them. It was young Newbery who took on the task and he did an exceptional job in nullifying the lively forward. Sidmouth continued to struggle with the windy conditions, but looked like that they had done enough to take a fortunate lead into the break having had a touch of fortune on the 35th minute when what looked like a stonewall penalty was turned down after a rash challenge on Finch.

However, a minute before the break the home side levelled when a right wing cross hit the shin of Sidmouth centre back James Clampin and flew past Burgess.

After the break Sidmouth introduced Connor Swingler and Tyler Wellman and that gave them much needed balance and solidity. Liverton took the lead on the 55th minute from the spot after a couple of rash challenges by Swingler and Newbery. Finch made no mistake, netting his 13th of the season.

Ten minutes later Town boss Josh Stunell again turned to the bench and introduced Shaun Densham and, within three minutes of joining the action, Densham riffled home the equaliser.

With Ryan Davies and Evans controlling the middle third of the pitch it was no more than Town deserved when, with 15 minutes to go an Evans corner was not cleared and Newbery was on hand to net from close range.

Densham bagged his second with 10 minutes to play, this after a terrific piece of play with strike partner Dan Norman.

Densham so nearly scored his third minutes later, but was denied by the Liverton

Sidmouth: Burgess, Jones, Newbery (C), Clampin, White, Burrows, Davies, Evans, Antat, Orchard, Norman. Used Subs: Swingler, Wellman and Densham.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus