Sidmouth Town miss chances and lose at Alphington
- Credit: Archant
It was very much a case of ‘missed chances’ as Sidmouth Town lost by the odd goal in three at Alphington in their latest South West Peninsula League game.
The Vikings, without top scorer Mark Pavey and skipper Josh French, welcomed back Andrew Thompson and gave a debut to recent signing from Witheridge, Ashley Barker.
The Alphas were awarded a penalty when Dan Tavender was pulled up for a penalty area shove, but Charlie ledger produced a stunning save to keep out the spot kick.
In the 20th minute a second penalty was awarded this time to Town and Thompson stroked the spot kick home. A second penalty to Town came later in the half, but this time Thompson’s effort flew over the bar! As the match official was looking at his watch the home side bagged an equaliser, taking advantage of some poor defending and so, instead of heading in with what should have been a healthy lead, Town went in at 1-1!
There was more Town dominance after the break. Dale O’ Donoghue and Ben Cole both spurned gilt-edged opportunities. Further chances came, and went and, with ten minutes remaining the home team completed a most effective case of smash-and-grab with the games third and decisive, goal.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday Town are in Walter C Parsons Cup action (the South West Peninsula League, League Cup), when they travel to Cullompton Rangers (2.30pm).
The Mid Devon side have made a flying start to the new season and sit in the top three of the Premier Division. In their league campaign so far Town have yet to keep a clean sheet – achieving that at Speeds Meadow would be something to herald!
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
Sidmouth From: Ledger, Cole, Tavender, Tarr, Small, Barker, Thomson, Pidgeon, Cox, Howard (C), O’Donaghue. Used Subs: Colson for Tarr (20), Dixon for Colson (70) – both changes were injury enforced.
Town star man: Charlie Ledger