Sidmouth Town net three away goals and yet again have nothing to show for it!

Footie. Ref miscsp 43-17TI 2258. Picture: Terry Ife

Footie. Ref miscsp 43-17TI 2258. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Town scored three goals in an away league game for the third time this season and, just as had been the case on the previous two occasions, they ended the game not winning as they went down 4-3 at basement dwellers Galmpton and Roselands.

An end-to end contest saw Tommy Dunlop net a hat-trick for the winners and it was he who opened the scoring in the 10th minute.

Parity was restored just after the halfway mark when Town striker Rob Knight continued his goal-a-game record by chipping the on-rushing keeper from a tight angle.

However, in what was a below-par first 45 minutes from the Vikings’, they got to then interval still on level terms thanks to some outstanding goalkeeping from Jake Sellick, who had stepped up from the second team in the wake of injury to regular glovesman Robbie Powell.

During the interval Town boss Josh Stunell ‘read the riot act’ and his words seemed to have had the desired effect as Town, from the restart, looked a completely different proposition to the team of the first half – one that looked lethargic and lacked the energy and work rate that has become a main trait of this team.

You may also want to watch:

The added vigour paid dividends and, in the 55th minute Shaun Densham applied a clinical finish to a precise Knight pass, , rifling the ball home with a crisp left foot strike.

Sidmouth looked in cruise control however on the 68th minute Sidmouth’s Jamie Newbery was harshly judged to have handled the ball in the area from a deflected shot, the home management were scratching their heads as to how Newbery could have avoided the ball. Dunlop placed the spot kick with ease past Sellick to leave things back level at 2-2.

Most Read

The penalty clearly deflated Town and did the opposite for the home side added two further goals in quick succession as Town fell apart at the back.

However, the Vikings dug deep and, by the 80th minute, were asking some serious questions of the home defence as both Densham and Pitter went close.

With time running out, Town Man of the Match, Nathan Antat riffled home from 18 yards out, however too little too late.

Town boss Josh Stunell said: “I can imagine it was a great watch for a the neutral, but it was totally frustrating for us in the Town technical area. To say we are angry that, once again, we have gone away and scored three goals and got nowt to show for it, is something of an understatement! I had expected us to win this game and how we scored three times and did not win remains a mystery to me. It’s an issue we need to resolve – and quickly – and we will do just that to hopefully mean we’ll not suffer similar against Axminster Town on Wednesday night.”

That Wednesday night Town meeting with Axminster Town kicks-off at 7.30pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus