Sidmouth Town Reserves out of Devon Senior Cup after Witheridge loss
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town Reserves went down 3-1 at Witheridge.
The Vikings unbeaten run came to a halt as they exited the Devon Senior Cup on a disappointing afternoon at Edge Down Park. Town made a shaky start, but once they found their feet they enjoyed a period of pressure.
Scott Hughes could, and should, have opened the scoring, but failed to work the keeper on two separate occasions. Will Jenkins smashed a volley against the bar, but the home side carried a clear threat on the break.
In the second half there was a slight swing in proceedings as the hosts applied the pressure.
The Vikings concede three goals in a 15 minute spell during which time the Town heads noticeably dropped.
You may also want to watch:
Teenager Ben Miller headed home a consolation goal with five minutes remaining, but by then it was a case of too little too late for the Vikings.
Town joint boss Paddy Thomas said: “It was certainly a disappointing day for the team. We made a lot of chances, but failed to make the most of the opportunities that we created. Teams need to score when on top and we failed to do so.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
“What is a worry is that when heads dropped it did seem that some of the players were clueless in coming up with any answers to challenge the winning side
“They [Alphington], were solid, but nothing special. However, what they did do was take their chances and that was the difference on the day.”
This Saturday (November 12), Town Reserves entertain Alphington at Manstone Lane (2.15pm).