Sidmouth Town Reserves preparing for Firewatch Devon Senior Cup semi-final
- Credit: Archant
Saturday (March 10) sees Sidmouth Town Reserves play in the semi-finals of the Fireweatch Devon Senior Cup.
Town have home advantage for the last four tie with the opposition coming in the form of East Cornwall League Division One side Lakeside Athletic.
Lakeside were Plymouth and West Devon League champions last year which led to them making a move to the East Cornwall Premier League where, this season, they have, to date, played 10 games, winning six, drawing two and losing two.
Like most sides in Devon, Lakeside have been relatively inactive in recent months, in their case playing just once since December 9. Their most recent outing was a February 24, 3-0 defeat away at St Monver – that being first time they had failed to score in a game since the opening day of the season.
So how has each team arrived at this all-important last four meeting?
You may also want to watch:
In the first round, played back on September 16, Lakeside were awarded a walkover in their tie with Dawlish while Town beat fellow Macron League side Whipton and Pinhoe by the odd goal in five.
In Round Two, the Plymouth-based side saw off local rivals Signal Box Oak Villa 2-0 with Town making progress with a 6-3 win in North Devon against Pilton Academicals.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 4 Peninsula League season could be over
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 8 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
Round three saw Lakeside bag a 4-2 win at Bishopsteignton United, while Town had been drawn in an East Devon derby, one they won, beating neighbouring Newton Poppleford 4-2.
Round Four was also the last 16 of the competition and at this stage, Lakeside were 4-1 victors at Salcombe while Sidmouth also travelled, and also won 4-1, in their case at Thorverton.
In the quarter-finals, Lakeside won through with a 4-0 win over Watcombe Wanderers and Sidmouth booked their last four berth with a 3-0 win over Plymouth and West Devon Division One outfit Maristow.
The winners on Saturday will move on to the final which is set for April 19 when the opposition will either be Colyton – who play in the Macron League Division One along with Town – or Harbertenford of the South Devon League.