Sidmouth Town Reserves put to the sword by strong University side
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town Reserves were treated to a footballing lesson when they came up against a top-quality University side that would not have been out of place playing at a much higher level!
The Vikings second string did not help themselves with their lack lustre start to the match, but three goals inside 10 minutes had the contest as good as over before it had really begun!
All too often possession was given away cheaply by Town players as confidence visibly drooped!
University, on the other hand passed, rotated and found time and space in an excellent demonstration of how football should be played.
Unfortunately, on the day, the Vikings had too many players not willing to take responsibility.
You may also want to watch:
During the half-time break, with Town six goals down, a few home truths were delivered by the management and, to be fair to the players, the second half show was much improved.
Matt Ogley stood out for Town with a never say die attitude that a few of his teammates need to copy. Adam Bartlett was left exposed and helpless far too often and even saved a second half penalty.
- 1 Husband and wife team take over at White & Son Shoes
- 2 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 3 New women’s team created at Sidmouth Rugby Club
- 4 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 5 Men replicating ladies at Ottery Bowls Club
- 6 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 7 Latest news and results from Sidmouth Bowls
- 8 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 9 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 10 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
What was clear by full-time was that, apart from a 9-0 defeat for the Vikings, if this University team were to play each match with this side then they’d have the league won before the turn of the year!
Next up for the Reserves is another tough test away to Bickleigh in a cup match.
A Reserve team insider said: “Hopefully we will have players available to strengthen the side as we need the club as a whole to pull together as the warning signs are there for all to see.”