Sidmouth Town Reserves slip to opening day defeat
Sidmouth Town Reserves looked a shadow of the team that had competed so well in pre-season when they were soundly beaten 3-0 away at Westexe in their opening game of a new Fresha, Devon and Exeter League, Division Four season.
Although struggling for numbers, Town fielded a very young inexperienced outfit. Westexe seemed to be quicker to every ball and went in at the break one goal to the good.
The young Vikings tried to get their game going but just couldn’t find the spark and, when the home team scored their second, things were looking grim.
Town did begin to create some openings but, with one player off the pitch through injury, the ten men were forced to concede a third near the end.
The new management team of Nick Ogden and Graham Long were disappointed at the result and overall performance.
You may also want to watch:
Ogden said: “We never showed up today and after a solid pre-season that hurts, but there were mitigating circumstances. We do have a very young and inexperienced side who will be strengthened when the holiday season and cricket campaign comes to an end. I’m not going to slate the lads for this performance, they know they can do much better, and we will improve.”
Charlie Nicolle and goal keeper Rob Powell impressed in an otherwise sluggish performance.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
Town Reserves are back in action tonight (Wednesday) at hoe to Uplowman Athletic (6.30pm).