Sidmouth Town Reserves strike ‘result of their Fresha League season’

Sidmouth Town against Teignmouth. Ref shsp 16-17TI 9602. Picture: Terry Ife

Sidmouth Town against Teignmouth. Ref shsp 16-17TI 9602. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Town Reserves defeated leaders Exmouth Amateurs 3-1 to go second in the Division One table.

In a keenly fought contest it was notable that there wasn’t a bad challenge in the whole game.

Town’s energy levels were high and Matt Ogley led the way.

With good support from Will Jenkins and Joe Miller, it was the youngsters who led the way.

Not to be outdone, Mike Stamp was causing a disturbance up front with Riki Pitter and Ferenc Bodor supporting from close behind. Joe Miller was on hand at the far post to tap in unchallenged on 20 minutes as the visitors struggled to get any chances.

You may also want to watch:

On the half hour, Miller grabbed his second in identical fashion, making sure to be there to follow in any cross or shot.

Amateurs looked shaken and knew they had a mountain to climb.

Most Read

With Jamie Newbury and Ben Clay providing a calmness at centre backs, it fell to Matt Colson and Damien Armes to attack down the flanks, given the chance.

The second half proved to be entertaining with the visitors taking the initiative and Dec Lines was called into action in the opening exchanges.

With Sidmouth looking dangerous on the break it was interesting to see how big the next goal would be.

Bodor decided to show what he is about with an audacious piece of skill and a left-foot drive into the bottom corner to make it 3-0

Ammies didn’t give in and kept knocking on the door but mostly it was slammed shut.

Miller, Pitter and Jenkins should have added to the score before a consolation goal was conceded with the ball spinning past a wrong-footed Lines.

It has been a good few days for Town, who drew with Bickleigh 2-2 on Saturday.

Bickleigh were second at the time, but Town moved past them thanks to the win over Ammies.

It was as one-sided a match that the Reserves have played all season.

After recent disappointing performances, the Vikings dominated from the start but couldn’t get the first goal.

Joe Miller was on hand to head home only for the home linesman to flag for offside. This would be a common occurrence throughout the match.

With their first effort on target, Bickleigh grabbed the lead.

However, Town picked themselves up and still dominated the rest of the opening half. Miller and Pitter both wasted good opportunities when well placed

A defensive mix-up saw Bickleigh grab a second and Town were in a state of disbelief.

With a couple of changes of formation and players brought into the game, the Vikings scored when Pitter drove home a loose ball to give Town a fighting chance.

Bodor then lobbed over with ten to go and there was only going to be one winner.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus