Sidmouth Town’s big Saturday cup tie falls to the weather
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town Reserves Devon Senior Cup semi-final meeting with Plymouth-based Lakeside Athletic was one of 30 matches across the Macron League and county cups called off by mid-morning on yet another soggy Saturday .
Seven days after the snow that caused a wiping out of the entire Macron and South West Peninsula League programme on the first Saturday of March, the rain has left many pitches water logged and countless more game s to be re-arranged by already over worked fixture secretaries!
Tipton St John’s Macron League Division Three game at home to Sandford was one of a cluster of matches that were called off on Friday evening.
Others in the area to have met a soggy end by mid-morning on Saturday were the games at Woodbury (v East Budleigh), Exmouth Spartans (v Sidmouth Town thirds), Sidmouth Town fourths (v Okehampton Argyle) and Otterton (v Honiton Town thirds).
With just nine Saturday’s remaining in the season from next Saturday (March 17) – the FA want the season to come to an end on May 5 – it means a hectic period for some clubs. On a day-by-day basis, there are 49 days from March 17 through to May 5 and, in that time, Honiton Town, as an example, have no fewer than 25 league games to get through on their home pitch!
You may also want to watch:
For Sidmouth Town, across their four teams – though they do have the pitch at Sidford to help out with – they will still have 22 home games to play.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 6 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 7 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 8 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout