Sidmouth Town see off battling Okehampton Argyle
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town bounced back from the disappointment of their Graddon Vending Devon Premier Cup exit at the hands of Seaton Town seven days before to bank three South West Peninsula League Eastern Division points with a 3-2 win over basement side Okehampton Argyle at a wind-swept Manstone Lane.
Following the surprise defeat at Seaton Vikings boss Josh Stunell signed four new players in midweek and all four were in the squad for the match.
Town began well with skipper Ryan Davies orchestrating things from a midfield berth and it was no more than the home side deserved when Dan Evans – the former Truro City and University of Exeter player – one of the four midweek signings – marked an impressive first 15 minutes in Town colours with a clinical finish.
The home dominance continued and Evans scored again, this time after some terrific approach play from Ashley Small, for Town to lead 2-0 at half-time.
Okehampton started the second half well and managed to pull a goal back, but the two goal margin was swiftly restored when more fine work from Small ended with Cameron Vere netting his 14th goal of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Small went on to miss a couple of good chances that nearly came back to haunt the young Vikings, as a defensive lapse by Tony Cox allowed Okehampton to score their second and, with fifteen minutes remaining the back four of Sidmouth had to be resolute. White, Wellman, Griffiths and Binion held firm and the home faithful were as relieved as the Town players, to hear the final whistle.
Sidmouth From: Bowring, Wellman, White, Griffiths, Binion, Small, Davies (C), Swingler, Evans, Burrows, Vere. Used Subs: Baker, Hodgson and Cox.
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 5 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 6 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 7 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 8 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start