Sidmouth Town so unlucky in Tivvy defeat

Football flag. Ref exsp 7259-33-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

Football flag. Ref exsp 7259-33-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Town so nearly became the first team this season to get the better of a powerful Tiverton Town Reserves side when they led the Mid Devon men 2-0 only to ultimately be edged out by the odd goal in five.

Vikings boss Josh Stunell worked hard in the training sessions before the game to send his team out with a particular plan; one that looked to contain and frustrate Tivvy and then hit them hard on the counter!

The contest began as the Town boss expected with the home side enjoying the bulk of possession, but they were unable to get through, or behind, a superbly set up Viking outfit.

After 25 minutes of such action the Viking sprang a swift – and clinical – counter attack with the impressive Ashley Small the one to lift the ball over the advancing Wannell in the home goal to give his side an unexpected lead. If that shocked the Tivvy faithful there was more to come as Cameron Vere bullied his way between the home centre backs before passing the ball beyond Wannell to send the Vikings into half-time with a 2-0 lead.

The home side began the second half with real tempo with the pairing of Charlie Selley and Ethan Phillips pulling all the strings. They soon threatened the Vikings goal, Ryan Smales, deputising for the unavailable Alex Bowring, was equal to the effort.

You may also want to watch:

At the other end Small weaved his way through countless challenges before seeing his goal-bound shot cleared off the line and away for a corner.

With 20 minutes to go the home side got a he slice of fortune when Dave O’Connor received the ball in a clear offside position. Vikings centre back Anthony Griffiths pulled the striker back and the referee, much to the disbelief of the visitors – and relief of the hosts – sent the experienced Griffiths off and O’Connor slammed home the penalty.

Most Read

A man shot, the Vikings began to get over run and, with 10 minutes remaining John Bradford restored parity and five minutes later Russell Coombes swung over a corner that beat everybody to nestle in the back of the Vikings net!

In the 88th minute Ben Farrington became the second Vikings player to see red and again there was an element if misfortune about the award against the Town player!

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus