Sidmouth Town suffer late heartbreak in defeat at University
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town suffered defeat in their first South West Peninsula League Eastern Division away game of the new season when beaten 4-3 at University on Monday evening.
Town began the game in confident mood, but fell behind in the seventh minute when some abject defending was duly punished by Andy Farley who needed no second invitation to fire the students ahead.
Conceding first seemed to affect the Vikings and they were soon two goals down when Bratt rifled a 20-yard free-kick beyond the fully stretched former Devon Under-18 goalkeeper Josh McLean in the Town goal.
There was worse to come for Town for more ‘school-boy’ defending was punished in the 324th minute leaving prolific striker striker Sedgwick to calmly round Mclean a give the students a 3-0 lead.
Sidmouth captain James Clampin received his marching orders on the 34th minute after an overzealous tackle on a one of the students.
You may also want to watch:
This incident seemed to galvanise the Vikings and, six minutes before the break, when a free-kick was won 30-yards from goal, Jordan Bastin lofted a ball into the penalty area that deceived everyone and nestled into the top left hand corner of the goal.
Moments before the half-time whistle Bastin struck again, finishing off a slick team move and suddenly, 10-man Town were right back in the game and just a goal down at the break.
- 1 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 2 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 3 'I feel that front line workers should be vaccinated as soon as possible'
- 4 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 7 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 8 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
- 9 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling
- 10 'We are passionate about involving young people in planning'
After 20 minutes of the second half, despite being a man down, it was Town were bossing proceedings and it seemed only a matter of time before they would level things up.
Sure enough, with 10 minutes remaining they were level when teenager Jacob Rowe riffled home a free-kick 3-3.
Town now went for the winner and Bastin, Antat and Small all went close. However, in the 85th minute the Town attempt at winning the game became one of desperately trying to save it after the students took a 4-3 lead.
University were awarded what seemed a contentious free-kick some 20-yards from goal. The kick was struck straight at glovesman McLean who, un-characteristically fumbled the ball into the path of the onrushing Bartley who made no mistake with the finish.
Mclean was injured in the phase of play, complaining of breathing difficulties the young glovesman was checked over at hospital in Exeter after the game, and was thankfully given the all clear.
Sidmouth team: Mclean, Farrington, Clampin (c), Newbery, Clay, Tricker, Davies, Rowe, Bastin, Small, Antat. Used Subs: Johnson, Densham, Holding.
Star man – Ashley Small