Sidmouth Town to sit out another Saturday matchday
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town have no South West Peninsula League (SWPL) Eastern Division game this coming Saturday (February 10) and indeed only play on two of the next four Saturdays.
The Vikings are next in action on Saturday, February 17, when Crediton United are the visitors to Manstone Lane.
They are then without a game on both the following Saturdays (February 24 and March 3), returning to action on March 10 with a trip to Teignmouth.
What it all means is that, when Town host Budleigh on Good Friday morning – that game being part of the SWPL Groundhop event – it will be only the Vikings’ third home game in 111 days!
That represents something of a ‘nightmare’ in terms of the club’s fundraising capacity given that home match days – especially at first team level - provide major income.
You may also want to watch:
Town boss Josh Stunell says: “It is what it is and we do seem to have had a tough time of it this season with the weather. Luckily we are well up to speed in terms of games played and have just the 10 to play, but we could certainly do without this coming – two games across five Saturday match days. Everyone seems to be in the same boat. We just have to grin and bear it and make the most of it. It will be good to get back to playing.”
Since the December 9, 5-1 home defeat to Honiton Town, the Vikings have played three times, twice over Christmas, on December 23 and 26 and then once in January – the game on the 13th at home to St Martins.
- 1 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 4 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 5 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 6 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 7 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 8 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 9 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 10 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
As things stand, Town will play their final nine games of the leagues season over a period of six weeks (42 days) and they played their first nine over 46 days. It all means they then played their other 14 matches over a period of 164 days – who would be a club treasurer!
The Town remaining league fixtures are:
Feb 10 No game
Feb 17 H Crediton United
Feb 24 No game
Mar 3 No game
Mar 10 A Teignmouth
Mar 17 H Galmpton
Mar 24 A Ilfracombe
Mar 27 A Bovey Tracey
Mar 30 H Budleigh Salterton
Apr 7 H Appledore
Apr 14 H Brixham
Apr 18 A Alphington
Apr 21 H Newton Abbot Spurs