Sidmouth trio honoured at Devon Cricket Board Youth Awards
- Credit: Dan Mullan/Pinnacle
ENGLAND Lions fast bowler Jamie Overton was the guest of honour at the Devon Cricket Board youth awards staged at Exeter Chiefs conference centre, writes Conrad Sutcliffe.
Overton, who was made it into the full one-day squad for the end-of-season Ashes series but didn’t get a game, handed out scores of awards to the next generation of players, all of whom would love to walk in his footsteps.
The former North Devon player who, along with twin Craig plays for Somerset, also took part in a lively question-and-answer session with members of the county youth squads.
Master of ceremonies Mike Dibble looked back on a successful season for Devon in most age-groups, and highlighted the achievements of youth system graduates Heather Knight and Jamie Overton in playing for England.
The U17 girls reached the National T20 finals, where they finished runners-up, while the U17 Boys were semi-finalists in the ECB 50-over competition.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth wicketkeeper-batsman Dan Powell was batsman of the year in the 16s team. His highlight was making a century against Glamorgan at Sofia Gardens in Cardiff.
Dom Bess, another of Sidmouth’s stars of the future, was player of the year.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 8 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 9 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 10 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
Harvey Sergeant of Sidmouth was U14 batsman and player of the year.