Sidmouth trio take on the Bacchus Wine Marathon in Surrey
- Credit: Archant
The Bacchus Wine half and full marathons are combined into a sociable fancy dress and wine tasting event, writes Hamish Spence.
Three ‘Mighty Green/Pink Sidmouth’ ladies took part. Helen Palmer, doing the half, whilst Jane Hemsworth and Jo Earlam took on the full marathon.
Jane is celebrating a landmark birthday soon and this was also Jo’s 60th marathon, so a 1950s/60s style kit was worn.
The first third of the route was tough going, so with the tight cut-off time of two-and-a-half hours on the full marathon Jo and Jane steered clear of the wine, or so they say!
Jane suffered a fall, got stung by a feisty wasp and there were chafing issues with the modified pink kit, and all before the halfway point! With their spirits revived, sting and cuts treated, Jo and Jane got on with the task of the second lap. Meanwhile, Helen was taking full advantage of the on-course entertainment with music, wine and nibbles at every water (I mean wine) stop.
You may also want to watch:
She also enjoyed being with the other 2000 sociable half marathoners, including BBC Radio Two’s Chris Evans and Vassos Alexander, who were both in her wave at the start line.
Jo and Jane missed out on the main party, making do with under 200 other full distance runners.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
Helen completed the half in a time of 2:37, and enjoyed more wine and the hog roast, leaving Jo and Jane to cross the finish line in 5:06, coming in 95th and 96th respectively; both ladies added on the extra distance to finish the 26.2 miles in a time of 5:27.