Sidmouth U18s Girls stay top after nail-biting victory
- Credit: Sidmouth RFC
Sidmouth U18 Girls retained their position at the top of the Devon Cup table after securing a tense 3-0 victory over Crediton, avenging their defeat to the same opponent in the National Cup.
Crediton looked to use the slippery conditions to their advantage with powerful forward play, while Sidmouth deployed their usual fast and furious approach.
It was a display of incredible fitness and resilience, all exhibited with simply fantastic rugby being played by both sides, and probably the most intense battle that the Sidmouth Girls have controlled and countered with great skill and execution this season.
Sidmouth applied the pressure and on a few occasions were in scoring distance of Crediton’s try line. One particularly valiant attempt was a blind side run and pass to Bella Breen on the wing to drive through a formidable Crediton defence and dive for the corner, missing out on a try by millimetres. That was an awesome effort and the first half ended 0-0.
After the break, the Sidmouth side got their second opportunity to score with another fantastic team effort playing the phases, controlling the ball, and at speed a pass to Rosie Tidball at centre broke through the clutches of the Crediton defence for a blistering run for an almost certain try that unfortunately was disallowed as being dropped.
Time was ticking down and, incredibly, still no score for either side. Sidmouth were awarded a penalty in the closing moments and Minty May brilliantly held her nerve to kick the winning score.
The squad on the day was in the Forwards; Jessica Perry, Annabelle Bird, Amber Spence, Daisy Grove, Ellie Wood, Esme Bagwell, Ellie Monro-Higgs, Cleo Turley, Lottie Reed, and in the Backs; Araminta May, Lucy Tanner, Charlotte Starr, Rosie Tidball, Fiona Wilson, Bella Breen, Aimee Simpson, Abigail Alner, Tilly Gravelle.
- 1 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 2 Cost of living crisis how Sidmouth businesses are coping
- 3 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
- 4 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 5 Business breakfast aims to link up local professionals
- 6 Gang responsible for bringing a kilo of drugs into Devon jailed for 23 years
- 7 Actor James Pellow plants tree for Sidmouth Arboretum
- 8 Festival organisers join forces to boost the town's 'brilliant cultural offer'
- 9 Bugler needed for Sidmouth beacon lighting event
- 10 Ottery residents struggling with Medical Centre absence
The next match is the Nation Cup - South West Regional Semi-Final against Devonport Services at home Jan 30. Come along and support the Sidmouth U18 Girls. It is sure to be a great match to watch.
If you are a girl and want to play rugby or know someone who does, please contact the Sidmouth RFC at email@example.com