Sidmouth U8s show great organisation against Okes
After two good fixtures against Okehampton last year, with honours being even (both teams winning away!), their arrival this season has been eagerly awaited.
The Okes turned up with 10 players (Sidmouth had 12) and the coaches decided on two 20 minute matches with rolling subs for Okehampton.
Sidmouth hit the floor running in the first match and raced to an early lead.
Okehampton took a few minutes to get into their stride and, despite continually falling foul of the referee, they started to fight back.
The second half was keenly contested, but Sidmouth's greater ability to score took them through to win 13 -6. Sidmouth's main try scorers were, Richie D, Henry W, Charlie M, William B and James N.
You may also want to watch:
The second match was a somewhat closer affair with Okehampton, well marshalled by their coach, getting to grips with Sidmouth’s strike runners. However, this gave the space and opportunity for the rest of the team to show their skills and to keep the score ticking along with further tries by Thomas M, Alex F, Sebastian F, plus excellent support work and defence by Toby N, Tyler D, Harrison T and Oliver B.
This continued into the second half and concluded with Sidmouth again winning, this time 9- 6.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
This was a good result for the boys and their organisational skills in both attack and defence were noticed and praised by the Okehampton coaches so, well done again to all the players, plus a big thank you to all the parents, who helped with the catering and the sponsors, Fords of Sidmouth and Jack Burgess Aerials.
No fixture on Remembrance Sunday, matches resume on Nov 21, home to Paignton. See you all then.