Sidmouth Under-10s back into action with tough games against Paignton
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-10s entertained Paignton for a series of matches.
The first game saw the Sidmouth team led by Billy Fowler along Thomas Grove, Sam Hartland, Leon Rowley, Toby Sanford, Will Goodall, Charley Turley, Tom Bird, Joe Trickey and Joshua Priestley.
The home side began well, enjoying plenty of possession which was complemented by some strong runs from Tom Bird, Thomas Grove and Toby Sandford.
However, some strong tackling and rucking from the visitors saw them land the opening score.
Sidmouth hit back and, after some good team play with involvement from Leon Rowley, Sam Hartland and Joshua Priestly, Charlie Turley crossed to bag the first Sidmouth U10 try of the new year.
You may also want to watch:
The South Devon side responded well and scored twice more to take a lead into the break.
to get to Charlie. Paignton struck back with one try before half time and another soon after.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 9 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
The first score of the second half followed good rucking from which the ball was fed along the line to Toby Sanford who then off-loaded to winger Will Goodall who raced away to dot down in the corner.
Paignton replied with another try through the middle after some loose home tackling.
As the game drew to a close, Joe Trickey passed from the ruck to Sam Hartland and then onto Leon Rowley who released Toby Sandford out wide to bag the final try and complete the match scoring.
The other Under-10 side ‘The Bulldozers’, made a bright start against a lively Paignton team. Straight runs from Archie Rowcliffe and combative cousin Dillon Burrow opened up space for Roman Moore and Toby Morris.
Scott Monro Higgs showed great determination and a competitive edge to create opportunities for Matthew Thomas to recycle the ball at the tackle and distribute the ball to the likes of Luca Arver, Charlie Rowland and Oscar Bruce.
Harry Wood was ever-present and put in some excellent tackling to stop the opposition in their tracks.