Sidmouth Under-11s sign off in 2013 with stylish win over Topsham
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 28, Topsham 12 Sidmouth Under-11s were good value for this victory.
Despite the early rain and sticky ground by kick off the conditions were ideal for running rugby and what a feast both teams supplied.
Sidmouth struck first with a fine team try, the ball being moved slickly through the phases.
The opposition started to get into their stride and, early in the second quarter, levelled things up. However, this merely served to galvanise Sidmouth and, after a spell of great ball retention, crashed over. The try was converted and a 14-7 home lead was taken into the break.
The second half saw Topsham wilt somewhat under relentless pressure from the home forwards who tackled everything that moved and, with a dominant scrum and line-out, two further converted tries put the result beyond doubt even though the visitors scored with the last play of the game.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth’s Mark Williams said: “Pre-match we had tried to instil the idea that giving a scoring pass to your team mate was as important, if not more so, than the actual act of scoring. Finally it seems after this game that the boys have grasped that concept for we saw some excellent passages of play with the ball passed across the backs on numerous occasions and leading to the opening try inside the first couple of minutes. Thanks are due to Becca and the rest of the parents for the catering. As this is our final match of the year it’s time to say merry Christmas and here’s to a successful 2014 from all connected with the Under-11s.”
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 10 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town