Sidmouth Under 11s swap mud for rubber crumb to face Exeter Chiefs
Sidmouth Under-11s The Sidmouth Junior section have been somewhat snookered recently with water logged pitches postponing fixtures or quagmire conditions rendering contests not much more than a mud wrestle, writes Craig Morgan.
The lads love it, but it doesn’t do much to develop the free flowing and open rugby that most coaches aspire to. So, it was a real pleasure to be entertained recently by Exeter Chiefs, on their all-weather rubber crumb pitch.
The crumb is hard and quite unforgiving in a fall, but does allow for expansive and ‘dry’ running rugby in the depths of a wet Winter which is a real treat.
The chiefs are a strong outfit having recruited well from their comparatively huge pool of fast strong juvenile specimens.
Howevere, once again the green army matched the old foe blow for blow. The Budleigh Bulldozer, Ben Hushon, bullocked his way to a huge total yards carried tally and Louis Stamp tore the Chiefs defence to shreds with a trademark break for our score.
You may also want to watch:
However, at the whistle Exeter had managed two tries to our one.
In the second game Sidmouth always retained the upper hand largely through Max Dix ferretting his way to the heart of everything and winning us the ball.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
Will Kennaugh scored with Josh Roberts chipping in too to make the score 2-1 to Sidmouth at the death. The ref did a great job contrary to the penalty count of 10 against Sidmouth and two against the Chiefs and two more disallowed Sidmouth tries.
Happy Christmas to all the Sidmouth Juniors.