Sidmouth Under-11s win County Sports KO Cup
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-11s were crowned County Sports Cup champions after a compelling day’s cricket at Heathcoat CC.
The first of the day’s semi-finals saw Whimple face Ottery St Mary with the former easing their way into the final.
Facing Axminster in the second semi-final Sidmouth fielded first and saw the Cloakham Lawn youngsters make a great start before being pegged back by some tight bowling.
Tom Simmons was the star of the show with 4-16.
The Sidmouth reply moved at a reasonable rate and the target of 115 was reached with five overs remaining.
You may also want to watch:
Jordan Fowler top scored with 27.
In the final Sidmouth batted first and got off to a brilliant start with Andrew Donovan (23) and Jordan Fowler (31 before retiring, posting 60 on the board in just five overs.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
Some good Whimple bowling stemmed the flow of runs and the innings close don 116-8.
The Whimple run chase got off to a slow start due to some accurate Sidmouth bowling from Tom Simmons (0-10 from 4), but the reply was still on course at the halfway stage with just one wicket down, though they were slipping behind the run rate!
Then a fine partnership of 57 got them to within eight of victory when the final ball was bowed to leave Sidmouth winners!
Ollie Pugsley claimed 20-13 for Sidmouth.
Sidmouth were presented with the cup by East Devon Youth League chairman Adrian Codling and it will be presented again formally at the main league presentation evening.