Sidmouth Under-12s impress in Land Rover Cup
- Credit: Archant
The Land Rover Cup for the South West was held at Exeter Saracens and Sidmouth Under-12s attended with a full squad of 18 players ready to go, writes Andy Cole.
Placed in a pool containing Perranporth, Exeter Saracens, Bideford and Topsham, Sidmouth asserted themselves well.
Their first game was a competitive contest with Perranporth in which Tom Fletcher grabbed the only try of the game to seal victory.
The team settled well with Freddie Eul Barker tackling well and Ryan Cozens kicking well to clear the lines.
Next up, tries from Finn Hobday and Will Cockayne Cotterill saw the side to a 2-0 win over Bideford. The third game was a stiffer test as they took on a strong Topsham side that beat them 2-0.
You may also want to watch:
The final game of the morning action saw Sidmouth meet hosts Exeter Saracens. Gabe Roberts showed good pace to run in the first try and another from Eul Barker sealed another 2-0 success.
As the committee totted up the points and published the pools for the afternoon matches it all meant a two-and-a-half-hour wait before Sidmouth saw action again!
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
Perhaps the long wait played a part, but the lads were unable to find any of the tempo they had produced in the morning and they were edged out 1-0 by Redruth.
Two further games followed against Winborne and Barnstaple who both took their chances well against a tiring Sidmouth squad.
This was the Sidmouth Under-12s first competitive matches of the season and they can be proud of their performance. There were plenty of positives to take from the tournament and overall the team managed a respectable eighth place finish out of the 20 competing team.