Sidmouth Under-13 girls win well at Plymstock
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-13 girls were 8-4 winners when they travelled to face Plymstock for their latest game.
In previous matches the Sidmouth team had ended each one strongly, showing their best in the final quarter and hopes were high for similar at Plymstock.
With the hosts short on numbers an 8-a-side contest was played. The first quarter saw both sides enjoy similar amounts of the ball and each scored a try with Cleo Turley the scorer for Sidmouth.
At the end of the quarter the team got together for a ‘huddle’ during which time they were fired up with an understanding that they needed to work together better.
The following 10 minutes showed that they had taken heed of the advice! Excellent tackles were put in by Cleo Turley, Minty May and Ellie Monro Higgs.
You may also want to watch:
An attack was put together involving great pressure from Lucy Tanner and Abbey French making breaks through the lines to put Cleo Turley over again. The second quarter ended with Sidmouth leading 3-1.
The third quarter saw a confident Sidmouth taking charge with Amy Scott making great progress down the left wing and Annabelle Bird being in close support to get over the try line through a Plymstock player.
- 1 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 8 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 9 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
Ellie Wood also started knocking back the opposition putting pressure that lead to turnovers.
This helped Annabelle Emmott make ground and space for Immy Bagwell to run with the ball.
The pressure continued to mount with short offloads from Minty May and Cleo Turley forcing the Plymstock girls to stage a valiant defence on their touchline. A final dummy and pirouette put Minty May into the corner to compete the scoring.
It was a great game played well by both sides and the coaches would like to thank the girls for deciding to start playing rugby in the second rather than fourth quarter!