Sidmouth Under-14s battly vailiantly against powerful Devonport Services XV
Sidmouth 0 Devonport Services 50 A much improved Sidmouth Under-14s started well with good passing and movement, closing the opposition down well and looking more like their old self.
Fortune favoured the visitors however, as advantage from hands in the ruck brought an early try and conversion.
Cockhayne was outstanding at number-eight throughout and played a captains role, leading by example.
Mead was unfortunate not to secure a quick response to level as Services began to look static in the face of a confident Sidmouth.
Losing possession at critical points cost Sidmouth dear however and was the key difference between the sides as the momentum swung and Devonport scored a second to lead the half 12-0.
You may also want to watch:
As the temperature rose and the second half saw spectators replace jackets with tee-shirts the sizable opposition went about peeling back Sidmouth’s
defence with military precision.
- 1 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Two superb centuries in Sidbury victory
Sidmouth struggled to maintain their first half performance and the widened the margin allowed the more consistent
Devonport to exploit weaknesses; errors crept in as the game wore on and Devonport ran out the game comfortably 50-0.
Sidmouth should be pleased with their all round performance in the first half and take the many positives from that into next weeks game.