Sidmouth Under-14s crowned Devon champions
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth RFC Under-14s capped a magnificent season with victory in the Devon Cup final.
The youngsters were bagged a resounding 43-7 success over Torquay in the final, played at Cullompton.
It’s certainly been a great season for the side who have been coached over the past three-and-a-half years by Ray Syrad.
Sidmouth were worried about Torquays large pack, but a battling performance by the forwards in the scrums and rucks secured great ball for the formidable Sidmouth backs to convert into points.
Tom Osbourne was given the captains arm band for the final and the try scorers were Sam Gardener, Ollie Upperdine, James Emmett, Sam Kennaugh, Tom Osbourne and Henry Williams. The Man of the Match award went to prop/hooker Jed Reid.
You may also want to watch:
The team had previously won the Under-14s Devon 7s title in a terrific tournament held at Topsham.
The team have been together since a torrid first year in 2010 when they lost virtually every match they played.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 6 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 7 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 8 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
However, through good old fashioned hard work and training they have steadily improved to the point that this season they won all their matches bar one!