Sidmouth Under-14s end season with silverware
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 3 Thorverton 0 Sidmouth Under-14s completed their Exeter and District Youth League campaign with a comfortable Plate final success at Willand Rovers last Saturday.
With a number of players missing including keeper Will Down, Sidmouth started slowly against a strong Thorverton side, but with only a few long shots at stand-in keeper Connor Murphy, the defence made sure the Mid Devon outfit could not get their noses in front.
Sidmouth gradually grew into the game and began to take charge and opened the scoring with good passing and movement in a slick counter that involved Ed Doble and Joe Miller prior to a tremendous ball from Jonny Dunn to Ben Miller whose cross cum shot flew into the top corner!
One quickly became two with terrific play from Jack DeWinton, who beat two players and drew the keeper before rolling the ball square for George Harris to tuck home.
Dun twice went close to adding a third, and half-time arrived with Sidmouth in command.
You may also want to watch:
The second period saw more of the same with fresh legs introduced in the shape of Roel Ruigrok and Ben Gosse and it was no surprise when a third goal arrived from an Al Forsyth corner which the Thors keeper pushed into his own net.
That proved to be the final score for, despite Thorverton trying t find a way back into the contest, they got little change out of the impressive Sidmouth defence of Dylan King, Jonny Surtees, Forsyth, marshalled superbly by skipper Jamie Newbery, and Sidmouth saw the game out in style.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 9 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17