Sidmouth Under-14s play superbly to defeat Devonport Services
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-14s were 14-10 winners when they entertained Devonport Services, writes Craig Morgan.
The contest was played out in glorious sunshine and there was a large crowd in attendance for the match.
The Plymouth side opened impressively, but a text book counter-punch saw speed merchant Josh Golding put away down the blind side. He outsprinted the cover to put Sidmouth ahead and Elsworth added the extras.
Devonport came back almost immediately with a similar move, but missed their conversion attempt.
Both teams then settled with the powerful Devonport side edging the battle ‘up front’, Sidmouth, however, looked the more threatening out wide. But for the curse of the dreaded mispass the home team may have scored again, but the ball hit the deck and the coaches will again revert to basics at the next training session.
You may also want to watch:
Early in the final third Sidmouth conceded a second try to fall behind, but this merely served to galvanise the home team.
Through a storm of ‘rough’ encounters Elsworth ripped through the oppositions defence to touch down and take the lead again and his conversion extended it further.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
Max Dix stood his ground superbly and in his first competitive game Jake Jones took Man of the Match for his fearless running and commitment. Seb Stewart also impressed in what was a superb all-round Sidmouth show.