Sidmouth Under-14s play superbly to defeat Devonport Services
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-14s were 14-10 winners when they entertained Devonport Services, writes Craig Morgan.
The contest was played out in glorious sunshine and there was a large crowd in attendance for the match.
The Plymouth side opened impressively, but a text book counter-punch saw speed merchant Josh Golding put away down the blind side. He outsprinted the cover to put Sidmouth ahead and Elsworth added the extras.
Devonport came back almost immediately with a similar move, but missed their conversion attempt.
Both teams then settled with the powerful Devonport side edging the battle ‘up front’, Sidmouth, however, looked the more threatening out wide. But for the curse of the dreaded mispass the home team may have scored again, but the ball hit the deck and the coaches will again revert to basics at the next training session.
You may also want to watch:
Early in the final third Sidmouth conceded a second try to fall behind, but this merely served to galvanise the home team.
Through a storm of ‘rough’ encounters Elsworth ripped through the oppositions defence to touch down and take the lead again and his conversion extended it further.
- 1 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 2 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 3 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 4 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 5 Legion's centenary plea for Sidmouth Poppy Appeal volunteers
- 6 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 7 Concerns raised over surge in number of unpaid carers
- 8 Businesses should be stocking up now for Folk Festival
- 9 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 10 Lydon hopes his weighty challenge will give Hospiscare funds a lift
Max Dix stood his ground superbly and in his first competitive game Jake Jones took Man of the Match for his fearless running and commitment. Seb Stewart also impressed in what was a superb all-round Sidmouth show.