Sidmouth Under-15 girls’ power to cup win in Plymouth
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-15 girls’ were in Devon County Cup on Sunday when they travelled to Devonport, Plymouth, to meet Newton Services and they served up a superb all-round show to defeat the Plymouthians 50-36.
It was a somewhat travel-weary Sidmouth side that took to the pitch and before they could get a foothold ion the game they were behind!
The home side scored an unconverted try and followed that with two more, both, unlike the first try, converted, to give the hosts a big opening lead.
For a moment the Sidmouth heads were clearly down, but a moment of inspiration changed things! It was Hannah Vicary who first crossed the whitewash and then got up to slot the conversion.
Sidmouth managed one more first half try, but the hosts also added to their score to take a 26-12 lead into the break.
You may also want to watch:
The half-time team talk – or the taking on board of refreshing drinks paid dividends as the Sidmouth team looked a very different proposition.
There was a noticeable change in the energy levels and the girls’, collectively, played some delightful rugby.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
Louise Wyatt scored the first try of the second half, running straight down the wing, leaving trailing defenders in her wake!
The impressive Hannah Vicary raced clear to score her second try of the game.
Back came the home side to back another try, but Sidmouth were quickly back onto the front and Laika Swain stole the ball before crossing and then Yasmine Whitrow broke free from ran the full length of the pitch to score her first try of the game.
Robyn Gillings took the ball at the 25-metre line and ran it home. The home side scored again, but Sidmouth were not to be denied and Yasmine Whitrow scored what proved to be the final try of the game. Hannah Vicary converted almost every kick she was presented with.
This was a tremendous team effort and the victory was no more than the girls’ deserved.