Sidmouth Under-15s into Wellman Cup semi-finals thanks to de Winton goal
Colyton 0 Sidmouth 1 Sidmouth Under-15s booked a last four berth in the East Devon Youth League Wellman Cup with a narrow success at Colyton.
Given that it was a rare warm sunny morning and the clocks had been put forward in the early hours, it was perhaps not surprising that Sidmouth made a sluggish start!
However, once they found their feet in the game they began to pass the ball around and play some impressive football.
The game’s decisive moment came halfway through the first half after a good move involving Joe Miller and Connor Murphy. The latter passed the ball inside for Jack de Winton to fire the ball beyond the Colyton gloves man.
The home side’s response was positive and only a top drawer save from keeper Henry Bartlett prevented an equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
After the break there were few chance sat either end as both defences held sway. Colyton threw everything the had at efforts to get an equaliser, but they found the Sidmouth defence of Matt Jones, Al Forsyth, Matt Bray, Tom Orchard and skipper Jamie Newbery in outstanding form.
In the semi-final Sidmouth will meet Seaton.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat