Sidmouth Under-15s so unlucky not to claim deserved success at Stonehouse
Sidmouth Under-15s launched their action in 2015 with a visit to Stonehouse, Plymouth where they were denied a deserved success when a last gasp try was ruled out, writes Chris Woodruff.
Any negative thoughts of an unbeatable opposition were quickly dispelled by the coaches and Sidmouth entered play in a positive frame of mind.
The first half was a typically post-break mix of flair and fumble and despite Sidmouth’s domination, Stonehouse capitalised on two gifts of error, snatching easy tries and subsequent conversions. Sidmouth restored some order through Pearson, who looked in the mood for the challenge, forcing a try just before the break.
Sidmouth’s improved second half and building in confidence, Mead secured a second try wide on the left wing which Harris narrowly missed converting. Stonehouse quickly responded with a well worked move from a scrum to widen their lead to 21-12.
Sidmouth squandered a series of opportunities before scoring twice to take a deserved lead. However, a frustrating lack of concentration then gifted two penalty opportunities to the hosts, the second of which was kicked to edge them in to a 24-22 lead with minutes left to play.
You may also want to watch:
The Sidmouth response to going behind was outstanding and, led by the impressive Cockhayne, they charged back onto the front foot and looked to have won the match with virtually the final play of the contest when Mead powered through to score, only to find it controversially ruled as going into touch!
Sidmouth certainly will have learnt a few sobering lessons about consistency, control and belief from this encounter.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend