Sidmouth Under-16s battle to double-header league and cup success over Bideford
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 26, Bideford 5 Sidmouth Under-16s showed little sign of lengthy break from playing the weather has enforced, when they won with something to spare a double header match that was played both as a league game and a plate quarter final meeting, writes Pete Bond.
The rain may have ceased to finally allow action, but a powerful wind became a distinctive factor in the way both teams played. Playing against the wind in the first half, Sidmouth looked to keep the ball in hand as much as possible. Some great hooking by Henry Thomas ensured the backs had plenty of ball whilst Angus Eaton, at outside centre, gained distance on each powerful run he made and only some last ditch tackling from Bideford prevented him from scoring before the break.
The forwards, particularly in the scrum, worked well winning consistent ball and Max Moore at flanker was outstanding throughout the game, his consistently high work rate ensuring any threats in and around the breakdown were snuffed out.
The second half, with a very strong wind in their favour, Sidmouth began to kick the ball more, putting the Bideford full back under pressure.
Will Counsell struck with a superb try to cap a slick move that saw plenty of swift handling and Angus Eaton finally got the try he deserved in the last few minutes of the game.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth battled hard against a well organised Bideford side and ultimately deserved their last four berth in this season’s competition.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 9 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17