Sidmouth Under-16s make fine start to new season
- Credit: Getty Images/Comstock Images
The four words ‘so far, so good’ sums up the start that the Sidmouth Under-16s have made to their season, writes Mark Williams.
Playing in the Fisherman’s Cup – a series of hard fixtures, for the first time – has seen the side topping the group after a terrific 27-5 success at Bideford, a 53-14 home win over Plymstock and a 51-3 home victory over Devonport Services.
The most exciting thing about this crop of players is how much better they can get. The games so far have been won at a canter; they will be truly formidable when they step up a gear!
Their tactics have been simple but very effective: crash the forwards up the middle for 2/3 phases and once the defence has been pulled in get the ball wide, where they are blessed with wingers with some phenomenal speed.
In the three games so far no fewer than 22 tries have been scored with 19 by the backs, which underlines how well this is working (the forwards are planning on getting in on the act soon!).
You may also want to watch:
Four weeks of training is now on the agenda before the next batch of cup games and the team has, as a target, to get to Christmas still unbeaten and top of our league.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 8 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 9 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17