Sidmouth Under-16s power to victory at South Molton
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-16s powered to a 57-12 victory at South Molton where they encountered an under-strength home side boosted by players from Tiverton.
Sidmouth made a clumsy start and were easily penetrated by Molton for the opening points. Just the right medicine it appeared, galvanising more robust forward play and creative movement to the backs!
Both teams exhibited early season rustiness, but it was Sidmouth
who dominated the remainder of the half with two tries each from Mead and Pearson and one from Turley ably converted by Harris to give them a formidable 33-7 lead. But for occasional white line fever from eager forwards, the gap might have been more!
The expectation of a cruise in the second half was however quickly extinguished, as the fresh legs of the expanded Molton squad were a real threat for the opening 15 minutes; eventually breaking through, but not converting.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth’s pre-season fitness training steadily turned the game around with a dominant forward performance, gaining territory in phases and then more consistently dispatching the ball to the backs to secure tries for Mead, Perez (O), Grief and a further well earned try for number-eight Pearson.
Any number of the forwards and backs could be highlighted for the excellent performances in an all round team effort.
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 8 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 9 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 10 Sad loss at Beer Albion