Sidmouth Under-16s power to victory at South Molton
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-16s powered to a 57-12 victory at South Molton where they encountered an under-strength home side boosted by players from Tiverton.
Sidmouth made a clumsy start and were easily penetrated by Molton for the opening points. Just the right medicine it appeared, galvanising more robust forward play and creative movement to the backs!
Both teams exhibited early season rustiness, but it was Sidmouth
who dominated the remainder of the half with two tries each from Mead and Pearson and one from Turley ably converted by Harris to give them a formidable 33-7 lead. But for occasional white line fever from eager forwards, the gap might have been more!
The expectation of a cruise in the second half was however quickly extinguished, as the fresh legs of the expanded Molton squad were a real threat for the opening 15 minutes; eventually breaking through, but not converting.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth’s pre-season fitness training steadily turned the game around with a dominant forward performance, gaining territory in phases and then more consistently dispatching the ball to the backs to secure tries for Mead, Perez (O), Grief and a further well earned try for number-eight Pearson.
Any number of the forwards and backs could be highlighted for the excellent performances in an all round team effort.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend