Sidmouth Under-16s power to victory at South Molton
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-16s powered to a 57-12 victory at South Molton where they encountered an under-strength home side boosted by players from Tiverton.
Sidmouth made a clumsy start and were easily penetrated by Molton for the opening points. Just the right medicine it appeared, galvanising more robust forward play and creative movement to the backs!
Both teams exhibited early season rustiness, but it was Sidmouth
who dominated the remainder of the half with two tries each from Mead and Pearson and one from Turley ably converted by Harris to give them a formidable 33-7 lead. But for occasional white line fever from eager forwards, the gap might have been more!
The expectation of a cruise in the second half was however quickly extinguished, as the fresh legs of the expanded Molton squad were a real threat for the opening 15 minutes; eventually breaking through, but not converting.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth’s pre-season fitness training steadily turned the game around with a dominant forward performance, gaining territory in phases and then more consistently dispatching the ball to the backs to secure tries for Mead, Perez (O), Grief and a further well earned try for number-eight Pearson.
Any number of the forwards and backs could be highlighted for the excellent performances in an all round team effort.
- 1 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 2 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 3 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 4 Legion's centenary plea for Sidmouth Poppy Appeal volunteers
- 5 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 6 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 7 Businesses should be stocking up now for Folk Festival
- 8 Concerns raised over surge in number of unpaid carers
- 9 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 10 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward