Sidmouth Under-7s enjoy first taste of action
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-7s took to the pitch for their first outing of the season when they took on Topsham.
There were record numbers on parade for Sidmouth with over 35 looking to enjoy the action and so seven teams were made up!
Topsham had 20 plus players and they put them into four team. A great deal of rivalry ensued across all of the matches played with each of teams impressing with their understanding of basic rugby. These are skills they have picked up over the past four weeks of training, resulting in good competitive play providing thrilling, although sometimes frustrating rugby, for the on-looking Sidmouth crowd and travelling Topsham parents.
The action also left the coaching team from both clubs plenty to work on for the rest of the year!
Across the 20 or so matches that were played there were many drawn outcomes and some were seriously close and a ‘draw’ was declared across the morning’s action.
You may also want to watch:
The Sidmouth Player of the Week trophy went to one set of the four sets of twins who are with the team - new recruits - Poppy and Lucy Ritchie - who have only been playing tag rugby for four weeks, deserving winners showing determination, good passing skills and sportspersonship.
Sidmouth Under-7 coach Simon Dunstan said: “All in all, an excellent fun day both on and off the field for the 55 players involved across the teams, and our thanks go to our excellent opponents Topsham. The coaches on both teams were more than pleased with the effort from all the players who clearly seemed to thoroughly enjoy their first taste of competitive play.”
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
This Sunday (October 16) the Under-7s have training with the next opponents being Honiton.