Sidmouth Under-7s impress in action against Cullompton
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-7s were in action against Cullompton at Sidford.
With a large match day squad of 18, Sidmouth were able to field four sides and the mid Devon-based visitors put out two teams for a series of matches.
In the early stages Cullompton looked strong in attack with a number of useful players who have clearly been working on running lines, and evasion techniques.
Sidmouth soon realised that strong defensive performances were required, and some great tagging from Mathew Farrington-Smith, Seb Galling, Ruben Willis and Sam Bennett kept the Sidmouth sides within touching distance.
As the games progressed Sidmouth’s defensive systems tightened up allowing for some free flowing rugby, and some great tries from the Sidmouth youngsters, with Otto Greifenberg, William Smart, Harry Matchett and Alistair Gibson showing strong running skills of their own to cross the white wash on numerous occasions.
You may also want to watch:
With commendable effort from all involved, special mentions must be made for Ethan Thomas who took part in his first competitive games of rugby, and to Jake Thomas whose performance and attitude stood out to earn him the coaches’ Player of the Week Award.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 5 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 6 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 7 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 8 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 9 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 10 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out